How to Block an Email Address in Outlook
If you’re tired of sifting through spam messages or dealing with emails you didn’t ask for, chances are you’re probably wishing you knew how to block an email on Outlook. After all, blocking senders you don’t want to receive messages from is the easiest way to ensure you don’t continue to receive messages.
Unfortunately, learning how to block an email address in Outlook is a little complicated, especially since every version of Outlook (web, desktop, mobile) works a bit differently. That being said, you can follow the steps outlined below to figure out how to block email on Outlook through any version of Outlook or by using Clean Email, our inbox management app.
💡 Note: The directions below will only work for the listed versions of Outlook. If you use Hotmail, you will want to check out our guide on how to block emails on Hotmail instead.
Block unwelcome senders
Easily block annoying spam messages from contacts you no longer want to stay in touch with.
How to Block an Email in Outlook Web
Outlook Web offers two options for blocking email addresses. Microsoft recommends doing it directly through your inbox (Option 1). However, this method isn’t available for those who have Outlook web linked to certain email clients, which is why Option 2 may also be useful.
Option 1: Selecting A Message From Your Inbox
- Login to your Outlook inbox.
- Select a message from the email address you’d like to be blocked. Click More (three dots) at the top toolbar.
- Choose Block, then click Block sender.
Option 2: Adding The Address To Your Blocked Senders List
- Login to your Outlook inbox.
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down to View All Outlook Settings.
- On the left, select Mail → Junk Email.
- Press +Add under Blocked Senders and Domains.
- Enter the address you’d like to block emails from, then press Enter to save.
💡 Note: Regardless of which method you use, you can unblock a blocked address at any time by going to Settings → Mail → Junk Email and hitting the Trash Can icon next to any address you’d no longer like to block emails from.
How to Block an Email in Outlook Desktop Client
If you are using the Outlook desktop client on Windows, you can block emails by following these steps:
- Open Outlook desktop app.
- Select a message from the email address you’d like to block emails from.
- In the top toolbar, click Junk → Block Sender.
To remove a blocked sender from your Blocked Senders list, simply go to Junk → Junk E-mail Options. From here the window will open and you can go the Blocked Senders tab to make edits.
Learn more about how to block emails on Mac from our blog.
How to Block an Email in Outlook Mobile App
If you use the Outlook mobile app, then chances are you will want to know how to block an email address on iPhone or blocking emails on Android. Unfortunately, the Outlook mobile app doesn’t support blocking senders directly within the app.
However, you can move items to Spam and later block them from your computer by following these steps:
- Open the Outlook mobile app.
- Select a message from the email address you’d like to be blocked.
- In the bottom toolbar, click the ‘Move to’ button.
- Select the Junk folder.
How to Block an Email Using Clean Email
As you can see, blocking emails in Outlook isn’t necessarily an easy task. So, if you can’t figure out how to block emails on Outlook Windows or Mac, Clean Email can also help you block all unwanted messages from a specific domain in just a few clicks. Essentially, you will create a rule that blocks all messages from the domain you specify. This will keep out all future messages from this domain.
To block emails from a certain domain using Clean Email:
- Launch the app and choose Auto Clean from the left-side panel. Then click Create Rule.
- Name the new rule and click Any sender or recipients.
- Choose Sender Domain in the drop-down list of available options. In the search box under the Sender Domain, start typing the domain you are looking for and choose it from the items found.
- Select the action you’d like to apply to the emails from this domain, e.g. send them to Trash. Press Create Rule.
⚠️ Warning: You need to CLICK an item found in the search results. If you only type the domain manually, all messages from your inbox may be affected.
Alternatively, you can block an individual email in the app, and here is how:
- Go to Senders from the left-side panel and choose the sender you'd like to be blocked.
- Select the Block email action under Sender Settings.
- Turn the toggle on to also move all existing messages from the selected sender to Trash. Click Confirm and you’re done!
Flag Messages As Spam
Sometimes you may not want to block a sender completely, but you also may not want the messages to clutter up your inbox. In those instances, it may be worthwhile to simply flag the emails as spam instead of blocking the sender.
Regardless of what Outlook platform you use, you can select the message and then click Move to Junk to clear out the clutter.
Why am I getting unwanted emails in my Outlook inbox?
According to Statista, more than 46% of emails are spam. If you are anything like the rest of us, getting this many unwanted emails is enough to drive you mad. However, the way in which these emails ended up in your inbox is often attributed to multiple factors.
- You subscribed to an email chain. This is a common, and super easy way for unwanted messages to show up in your Outlook. Signing up for email communication is especially common when you purchase a product or service on a website; they often hide a little check mark at the bottom of the checkout page that, if unclicked, leads to constant email communication.
- You put your email out publicly. If your address somehow happens to end up on a public forum or webpage, internet crawlers are sure to get their hands on it and sell that information to other companies.
- A company you subscribed to had a data breach. You would be surprised at how commonly this occurs. When a company’s website data is breached, and the company has your information, others are able to access most if not all of that data, including your email address.
- You have been a victim of malicious email in the past. It happens to the best of us—you click on a message that has the appearance of good. However, on the inside, the mail is filled with malicious content. Clicking on a message from a malicious sender can often alert them that your inbox is active, thus sending more annoying and dangerous messages into your inbox.
Why you should block emails in Outlook
Blocking emails is a common practice, and should be done for the following reasons:
- To remove malicious senders from your inbox. As described above, opening emails from malicious senders often alerts them that your inbox is active. This can lead to all sorts of additional and inconvenient communication from these malicious senders and others.
- Extract unnecessary communication from your inbox. Again, there are times when unnecessary communication clutters your inbox. Blocking irrelevant or annoying senders cuts down on the clutter.
- Maintain a clean and organized email inbox. Who wants 1,000s of emails floating in their inbox? Blocking unnecessary communication helps you to maintain that dream of inbox zero.
Put A Stop To Inbox Clutter With Clean Email
As mentioned above, this app can help you block someone on Outlook. However, the blocking feature is just one of the many things this app can do to help you clear out the clutter in your inbox.
For example, the Auto Clean feature (which is what you use for blocking emails in Outlook) gives you the ability to set up automation rules for your inbox. It can move messages to dedicated folders, clear out items after a certain amount of time, or delete messages from specific senders automatically.
Furthermore, the Unsubscriber feature helps you remove your address from promotional mailings you do not want to receive. You can simply push Unsubscribe or Read Later to move these messages into a dedicated folder.
New features like Sender Settings can help you automatically remove messages from a specific sender the moment they come in so they don’t clutter your inbox, while the Screener feature places messages from unknown senders in a specific quarantine folder so they don’t clutter your inbox.
And, of course, the Smart Folders feature makes it easy to see messages that all share specific criteria. This makes it easy to just focus on one type of message or remove unwanted messages that meet the same criteria (e.g. ‘Online shopping’ which contains shopping-related messages).
💡 Note: Outlook offers both an email service provider (meaning you use an @outlook.com email address) and an Outlook email client (which links with other mail providers like Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, and more). Because of the way these each work, any actions you perform in Clean Email only translate to the email service provider, which means that they may not show up if you use the Outlook desktop client.
Unfortunately, unwanted email communication makes it into everyone’s inbox. However, there are multiple ways to rid your mailbox of irrelevant communication. In addition to all the ways we can do this in Outlook, Clean Email offers comprehensive solutions so you can stop unwanted messages on Outlook.
Learn more about how block someone on Gmail and block emails on Yahoo if you have a second mail account.
How to Block Emails on Outlook - FAQs
How do I block emails on Outlook mobile?
Unfortunately, the Outlook mobile app does not provide access to block senders. Alternatively, you can block a sender on the Outlook desktop app or you can send emails to your junk folder from the Outlook mobile app. Doing so will force all future communication from that address into your Junk Email folder.
How do I block multiple emails on Outlook?
As it currently stands, Outlook does not have a feature to block multiple emails at once.
How many emails can I block in Outlook?
Outlook has a maximum of 500 unique email addresses you can block at a time.
How do I permanently block an email in Outlook?
To permanently block an email address in Outlook, you can add your unwelcome sender to the Blocked Senders list. Refer to the instructions in this article to learn how to do this on desktop and on the web. Alternatively, you can block emails from the whole domain using the Clean Email app.
How do I find my blocked senders list in Outlook?
To view your blocked senders list in Outlook web app, follow these steps:
1. Open your inbox and go to “Settings” → “View all Outlook settings.”
2. Select the “Mail” option and then select “Junk Email.”
3. Your list of blocked senders should appear here.
How do I block unwanted email senders?
You can easily block unwanted email senders in Outlook by selecting Block Sender, or you can use the Clean Email app to remove entire domains.
How do I completely block unwanted emails? ›
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Gmail app .
- Open the message.
- In the top right of the message, tap More .
- Tap Block [sender].
Open a message from the sender you would like to stop. Click More (the three vertical dots next to the Reply button) and select Block [sender's name]. A pop-up window will appear and ask you if you want to Block the sender's address and move all future messages from it to the Spam folder.Can I mass block emails? ›
In your inbox, click the checkmark box next to the message or messages from the sender. You can check one box at a time, or you can check multiple boxes from multiple senders to mass block them.Why can't I block sender in Outlook? ›
Reason 1: Spammers do not send emails from the same address twice. Reason 2: Incorrectly configured spam folder in Outlook client. Reason 3: Outdated Outlook client software. Reason 4: Spammers mislead you by following the technique of spoofing.Is there a limit to Blocked Senders in Outlook? ›
In Outlook on the web , the maximum number of addresses allowed in the Blocked Senders list is 1,024. (Outlook on the web for Indiana University uses Exchange Online.) You can add Blocked Sender addresses using the Manage Junk E-mail Lists option.Why do I still get emails after blocking them? ›
Blocking someone stops their email from coming to your mailbox. If email from a blocked sender still appears in your Inbox, the sender might be: Changing their email address. Create an Inbox rule to pick up common words in your Inbox email and move them to the Deleted Items folder.Is it better to block or delete spam? ›
If you receive any unwanted email, the best approach in almost every case is to delete it immediately. It is often clear from the Subject line that a message is junk, so you may not even need to open the message to read it. Some such messages invite you to reply if you want to be removed from their list.Why am I suddenly getting so many spam emails? ›
Spammers buy email addresses from special providers in bulk to add them to their mailing lists. If you've noted a sudden increase in the number of spam emails landing in your account, there's a high chance that your address was part of a list recently sold to one or more scammers.How do I block multiple senders in Outlook? ›
- Select Settings. > View all Outlook settings.
- Select Mail > Junk email.
- If you want to block an email address, enter the email address in Blocked senders and select Add. If you want to block all email from a domain, enter the domain name in Blocked domains and select Add.
- Select Save.
Blocking emails is a surefire way to clean up your communications and takes mere seconds to implement. By stopping unwanted messages from cluttering up your Inbox, you free up space on your device and safeguard yourself against receiving email viruses and other types of cyberattacks.
Do all blocked emails go to spam? ›
Yes, a blocked address can still send you emails. The only difference is that emails from block addresses will not appear in your inbox. Rather, they are housed in the Spam folder of your Gmail automatically.What is the difference between mark as junk and block sender? ›
When you get an email that you don't want you can mark it as junk. If you then go to your junk folder it gives you the option to block it. What is the point of blocking it? When you mark something as junk it gets added to your block list.Is there a limit to the number of emails you can block? ›
I asked Google PR about this and got a response that Gmail accounts are limited to just 1,000 blocked addresses. A spokesperson said Google is considering raising the limit, but if it does, it will “take some time” for that to happen. This is a MAJOR step back.What is the difference between not junk and never block sender? ›
"Not junk" means, simply, to move from the Junk Email folder to the Inbox. "Never block sender" means to add the sender address to the Safe Sender list.What happens when someone you blocked tries to email you? ›
Similarly, your Gmail inbox will no longer contain messages from anyone you have blocked. They will be sent directly to your spam box to avoid seeing their messages.Does a blocked email know they are blocked? ›
If you've added an email address to your Blocked senders list, they will not get any notification that will inform them they have been blocked. You will simply not receive any of their messages.Do blocked emails get delivered when unblocked? ›
No. The ones sent when they are blocked are gone. If you unblock them, you will receive the first time they send something once they are unblocked. While blocked the messages are not held in a queue.Do spammers know when you delete their email? ›
Do email spammers know when you delete their emails? - Quora. No. Any email sender can discover if you opened the email and if you interacted with the content of the email and if you flagged the email as spam. These are the only things that any email sender can discover.What happens if you delete 10 spam? ›
The Good Planet reports that nearly 107 billion spam emails were sent and received a day in 2019. If every person only deleted 10 spam emails, they could save 1,725,00 gigabytes of storage space and around 55.2 million kilowatts of power. The average U.S. home uses about 900 kWh per month.Where do blocked emails go in Outlook? ›
Outlook moves any incoming message from senders in the Blocked Senders List to the Junk E-mail folder, regardless of the content of the message.
Why am I getting so many spam emails all of a sudden 2022? ›
But, if you suddenly started receiving dozens of spam emails, chances are, your address has been exposed. Websites like Have I Been Pwned? check if your personal data was compromised. These services work like search engines — just enter your email address and they will look through exposed data.Does Outlook have a spam filter? ›
Note: The Outlook Junk Email Filter doesn't stop delivery of junk email messages, but moves suspected spam to the Junk E-mail folder. You can adjust the Junk Email Filter settings in the Junk E-mail Options dialog box. On the Home tab, in the Delete group, click Junk, and then click Junk E-mail Options.How do spammers get my email address? ›
Spammers and cybercriminals use sophisticated tools to scan the web and harvest email addresses. If you publicly post your email address online, a spammer will find it. Making good guesses… and lots of them. Cybercriminals use tools to generate common user names and pair them with common domains.How do I block a group of emails? ›
Open the email and click on the Menu button (three vertical dots) in the email window's top center. 4. A drop-down menu shows. Now, select the sender's name or email addresses (in case of a group email), Block all future emails, and Delete all existing emails if you want to get rid of all related messages.Why can't I block emails on my iPhone? ›
To block emails on iPhone, tap on the sender's name in the Mail app and select Block this Contact. To automatically send blocked emails to trash, change the Blocked Sender Options. The Blocked Sender Options are located in the iPhone Settings app under the Mail heading.How do I permanently block someone from emailing me on iPhone? ›
For email addresses, go to Settings > Mail > Blocked > Add New. Select the contact that you want to block.How do I block emails on Outlook app? ›
- Open your “Outlook” account in your web browser.
- Click on the email you consider spam.
- Click the “Junk” dropdown.
- Select the “Block” option.
- Click “OK” to confirm blocking the sender.
You can Flag an email message you receive to remind yourself to follow-up or take action at a later time. Your flagged message will appear in the To-Do Bar, in Tasks, and in the Daily Task List in Calendar. You can also click your Search Folder – For Follow Up to find the messages you've flagged. 1.When you block someone do they know you blocked them? ›
Blocking Someone on Android Messages and Apple iMessage
When you block a contact over Android or iPhone, they will still be able to send you text messages. These messages will not show up on your phone but the sender will see the messages as sent. They won't know that they've been blocked.